Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Review points from safe child policy...


(1) 30 minutes before closing the library is supposed to make a LOUD VERBAL announcement that the library will be closing in 30 minutes and that everyone needs to be making arrangements to leave the library.  This is the responsibility of EVERY staff member at the library at the time the announcement is due, so don't assume someone else will take care of this.

(2) Library staff members are NOT to stay with children after hours on library property.  There is no 'I don't mind' option.  From a legal standpoint, during such a time you are on library time, required to be paid, and holding the library liable for your actions.

(3) If a child is on library property after closing you are to call the police IMMEDIATELY.  It is NOT your fault if you have to do this - it is the parent's.  You are to document the date, time, and child involved by E-MAILING me this information as soon as possible after the event occurs.  If you are on-site when a parent arrives, you are to hand him/her a SAFE CHILD POLICY and document that as well.  You should also try to reach me on my cell phone to let me know what is going on.

***IF*** it is a situation where a panicked parent has called with a flat tire or some similarly reasonable situation arises, call me.  Under such circumstances I will provide the authority for you to stay with the child - but you have to call me as the event is occurring.

Katrina

Posted: 2011, 05/22/15, 09/23/15

No comments: